The Church Building

Built for Grace Church and opened in 1852, this was the first brownstone building in Baltimore as well as the first church built of stone in the city. Plans were made by J. Crawford Neilson.

The stained glass windows were imported from England (Hardman of London and Birmingham) and Germany (Mayer of Munich) and are fine examples of nineteenth-century design.

Floor tiles were also imported from Minton and Company in England.

The Font

As you enter, you will see the white marble font, the bowl held by an angel, designed by the Danish sculptor, Albert Bertal Thorvaldsen, and carved by D. & A. Davidson of Inverness.

This design is seen in only four places: Copenhagen, Inverness, New York (Saint Bartholomew's), and here.

The Resurrection Chapel

At the back of the nave is the Resurrection Chapel. It is used occasionally for weekday Masses, contains a confessional for the Sacrament of Penance and is used as the Altar of Repose during Holy Week. It also houses a Columbarium. The windows in this chapel portray the Resurrection of Our Lord.

The Stations of the Cross

The Stations of the Cross, carved and polychromed by Robert Robbins of New York, hang along the walls of the nave and are used often during Lent, both by the school children and by parishioners during weekly services of Stations and Benediction.

The Lady Chapel

Several alterations have been made to Grace and St Peter’s to beautify and improve its facilities for worship. To the right of the chancel has been added the Lady Chapel, dedicated to the honor of Our Lady, St Mary. Gabriel's annunciation to Our Lady is seen in figures at the top of the reredos which is a triptych framing a copy of a painting by Fra Filippo Lippi of the Blessed Mother adoring her Child.

Altogether, this Chapel, with its oak carvings delicately touched with color, is said to be one of the loveliest in the country. At this altar the Blessed Sacrament is reserved for the communion of the absent and adoration of the faithful. This is also the chapel in which most of the weekday Masses are celebrated.

The Sacristy

Also added to the original building, to the left of the chancel, is a commodious sacristy, given by Henry and Mary Jacobs. Over the sacristy door is a bas relief of St. Cecilia.

The Chancel

The stone high altar, designed by Henry M. Congdon, was built in 1898. Central to the reredos is a stone copy of Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper." On the front of the altar other stone carvings show sacrifices made in the Old Testament by Noah, Melchisedek, and Abraham. An inscription tells, in the words of the Catechism, why the Church celebrates the Eucharist: "For the Continual Remembrance of the Sacrifice of the Death of Christ and of the benefits which we receive thereby." Other figures carved in the reredos depict St John the Baptist and St Luke the Evangelist, and the figures in the stained-glass windows of the sanctuary represent the prophets (Moses, David, Isaiah), apostles (St Peter, St John, St Paul), and martyrs (St Stephen, St James, St Polycarp).

Shrine of Our Lady of Grace

On the left side of the chancel arch stands a sixteenth-century statue from the Rhineland called Our Lady of Grace, given in memory of Henry and Mary Jacobs.

Shrine of St. Peter the Apostle

On the right of the chancel arch is the Shrine of St Peter, our Patron. It was given by The Rt. Rev. Reginald Mallett, sometime rector, after he left Grace and St Peter’s to become Bishop of Northern Indiana.

Shrine of King Charles the Martyr

At the rear of the nave is a Shrine to King Charles the Martyr, installed and blessed in 1992 during the Annual Mass of the Society of King Charles the Martyr.


Back to Top